You being here means that you are about to go live, you have your new website completed enough for others to see it. Or, you are just looking to add a new domain to your already existing hosting account with us.
Please be aware that if the domain name that you want to use is already attached to a ShareFaith website, you will need to reach out to the support team for assistance with getting the domain connected to a new ShareFaith site.
***IF YOU ARE NOT READY TO GO LIVE, GO BACK, DO NOT DO THIS STEP YET AS YOUR SITE WILL BE LIVE AND YOUR TEMPORARY DOMAIN WILL DISAPPEAR AND WILL NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE. ***
- From your Wordpress menu, select the Domains found under the Sharefaith menu option as shown here. If you are using a Sidekick theme, you will need to first select the Advanced button at the bottom left of your screen.
- You will now be presented with the option to either Purchase A New Domain through Sharefaith, or Use A Domain That You Already Own based on which button you select as shown here.
If you are planning on pointing your existing domain name to our servers, please see how to point your already existing domain to us below. However, If you are planning on purchasing a new domain name or transferring your domain name to Sharefaith in order to send it live, please refer back to Going Live: Which Option is Right For Me
- Click on the Use a domain you already own button.
- Type your domain name into the domain field that you will be presented with.
- On the next screen, you will be asked if you want to point your domain name to Sharefaith or transfer the domain over to Sharefaith. If you are wanting to proceed with just pointing your domain to Sharefaith, select the Point my domain to my new website button. If you would rather transfer the domain to Sharefaith, please refer to the Transferring Your Domain Name to Sharefaith tutorial.
- You will then be presented with a screen that will display the correct A Record IP Address for your website. Please be sure to copy that IP Address down somewhere safe before proceeding by selecting the arrow button to proceed with this process.
- Lastly, you will be presented with a screen asking to confirm the decisions that you have made. If everything looks to be in order, select the checkmark button.
While these are the last steps that you will need to take within your Sharefaith website, you will still need to access your domain registrar account and update your DNS records within that account. There are two different ways to point your domain, let's learn about each.
A Name Record: This points your domain to look at your website on our Servers. Use this method, when you want to keep your current email provider and do not want to switch settings. A drawback would be: If you ever need to set up a subdomain for your website, it will need to be created both with your domain registrar and within your Sharefaith hosting control panel.
- Locate the A Record IP Address that you copied down from Step 4 above.
- Follow the instructions that your current domain registrar gives you to change, or, create your A name record in that account.
- Please be aware that it can take up to 24 hours for these changes to take full effect.
Name Server Records: Updating these will fully point your domain to our servers and your domain will be fully controllable within our system. Use this method when you want to keep your current registrar, but also want to have full functionality in our system.
Here are the Name Server records that you will need to use to point your domain to our servers:
Finally, follow the instructions that your current domain registrar gives you to change your Name Server records. Please be aware that it can take up to 24 hours for these changes to take full effect.
Please Note: We recommend using Google Chrome or Firefox to edit/update your Sharefaith Church Website and Mobile App. If you are experiencing any issues with editing your Sharefaith Church Website or Mobile App, switch to one of these browsers. If the issue still persists or you are experiencing your issue while using one of these browsers contact a Sharefaith Customer Liaison Specialist by creating a new support request.